The Kappes Family
Joseph, Vincent, and Josephine Kappes were found living in the St. Lucas area. They were probably siblings.
2. Joseph Kappes was born in 1828 in Prussia. He married Katharina. They appear in the 1880 census in St. Lucas. Katharina was born in 1842. She died on 15 October 1884 at St. Lucas, Fayette Co., Iowa; buried at St. Lucas Cemetery. He appears in the 1910 census, age 82 with wife, 'Margaret'. They have a daughter, Margaret, age 18.
The six known children of Joseph and Katharina Kappes were:
- + 5. i. VINCENT
KAPPES, born 1857; married Mary Bodensteiner.
- 6. ii. PAULINA KAPPES was born in 1859.
- + 7. iii. JOSEPH A. KAPPES, born in 1868 in Wisconsin; married Elizabeth Bodensteiner.
- 8. iv. ISABEL KAPPES was born in 1861 in Wisconsin.
- 9. v. LEONHARD KAPPES was born in 1863 in Iowa.
- 10. vi. JULIA KAPPES was born in 1866 at St. Lucas.
Margaret was born in 1850 in Iowa.
The only known child of Joseph and Margaret Kappes was:
3. Vincent Kappes was born on 24 July 1839 at Baden. He emigrated in 1854 at the age of 15. He enlisted in 1861 as a volunteer in the 3rd. Mo. infantry for a period of three months and re-enlisted in the 4th Missouri Calvary for a term of three years or until the close of the war. He served altogether in the service of his country for 3 years and 5 months, when he received an honorable discharge. He was united in marriage to Miss Malissa Miller, May 6, 1866. To the union were born 14 children, 7 of whom have passed to their reward. In 1870 they moved to Lina,
Ill., from where they came to Oelwein in 1897. He died on 14 March 1914 at Oelwein at age 74.
- 11. i. MARGARET KAPPES was born circa 1890 at St.
Eight of the fourteen children of Vincent Kappes and Malissa Miller were:
- 12. i. CHARLES KAPPES.
- 13. ii. VALENTINE KAPPES.
- 14. iii. ALFRED KAPPES.
- 15. iv. KATHERINE KAPPES.
- 16. v. LEONA KAPPES married (--?--) Ward.
- 17. vi. HENRY KAPPES.
- 18. vii. HELEN KAPPES married (--?--) Courer.
- 19. viii. ELLA GERTRUDE KAPPES was born in 1873 at Leon, Illinois. She graduated from the Leon High School in 1889, and in 1890 was united in marriage to Parker Perry. Some years ago they moved to Oelwein where they continued to reside. She died in 1902 at Oelwein. Mrs. Perry was the mother of five children, four of whom with the husband survive her. The funeral
services were held at the home. Internment in Oelwein Cemetery.
5. Vincent Kappes (Joseph was born in 1857. He married Mary Bodensteiner, daughter of Johan Carl
Bodensteiner and Margaretha Balk. He died on 14 March 1914.
Mary Bodensteiner was born on 8 August 1867 at St. Lucas.
The only known child of Vincent Kappes and Mary Bodensteiner
A. Kappes (Joseph ) was born in 1868. He married
Elizabeth Bodensteiner, daughter of Johan
Carl Bodensteiner and Margaretha Balk, after 1887. Elizabeth Bodensteiner was born on 28 January 1869 at St. Lucas.
- + 20. i. VINCENT
J. KAPPES, born 13 December 1899 in South Dakota; married Unknown Lowell.
The only known child of Joseph A. Kappes and Elizabeth
J. Kappes (Vincent,
Joseph) was born on 13 December 1899 in
South Dakota. He married Unknown Lowell. He died on 13 March
1967 at San Francisco, San Francisco Co., California, at age 67. His SS card was
issued in South Dakota.
The only known child of Vincent J. Kappes and Unknown Lowell
Martin Kappes (Joseph
A., Joseph ) was born on 21 January 1888 at
Hand, South Dakota. He married Elizabeth. He died in July 1977 at Saint Cloud, Stearns Co., Minnesota, at age 89. His SS benefits were sent to Little Falls, Morrison Co., Minnesota. Elizabeth (this is a probable wife) was born on
1 March 1888. She died in June 1977 at Saint Cloud, Stearns Co., Minnesota, at age 89.
- 22. i. ANDREW
STEPHEN KAPPES was born on 20 June 1936 at San Francisco.
The only known child of Joseph Martin Kappes and Elizabeth
- 23. i. BURKHARD KAPPES was born on 14 October 1920 in Minnesota. He died in March 1983 at Little Falls, Morrison Co., Minnesota, at age 62; buried in Albany, Stearns Co., Minnesota.
Return to Main Page